Saturday 24 August 2013

So when do you leave?

In March it seemed such a long way away but August rolled around quicker than you can blink. It seems like last month I moved to PN and now I was moving back home to pack up my bags.

Every day coach Andrew would give me some advice or ask me how I was going. It was a slow process, day by day, one thing at a time. Visa interview, medical insurance, the works! My other coach Mr Nicholls seemed so proud to have one of his 'little swimmers' who had swimming lessons at the pool from 2 years old, heading so far away thanks to swimming. He would ask me 'how many sleeps?' But I wasn't counting down, I was too nervous. I'd like to thank the Nicholls and Kiwi West Aquatics (www.kiwiwest.org) for being so supportive to help me get to this point.

I'd also like to thank Mum and Dad and my grandparents and uncle in Masterton. They always made sure there was jobs I could do on the farm to earn some extra cash for summer road trips. I cannot tell you how many fences I pulled down or how many hours I spent shifting sheep but digging so many post holes made me realise I had muscles I never knew I did!


How many farewell dinners can one person have? How much New Zealand food can you wolf down in one month? School friends, swimming friends, family so many lunches and dinners, so little time. And they all end with " See you in May!"

To answer a few of the common questions:
Yes we swim inside, in yards not metres, I will buy a coat when I get there, I don't know what there is to eat but I imagine it will be as all hostel food is, i'm hoping not to get the freshman 15,  my classes in the first semester are english, calculus, history, intro to business and a communication/public speaking course to fill in a bunch of general requirements they have, regardless of the degree you are doing. 

Dad and I fly out at 5pm Sunday 25th August from PN to Auckland then onto San Francisco for a few days to see Dad's uncle and hopefully some America's Cup action.

No comments:

Post a Comment